Now just as a disclaimer this is NOT originally my recipe. There are tons of homemade teat wash recipes out there and I just pinched ideas from here and there and put together something I thought would work best for us.
I chose to go with a homemade teat wash for a few reasons:
- Commercial teat washes are expensive and we’re going to be using it every day multiple times.
- I was sure of all of the different ingredients in them.
So without further ado here is the recipe for the teat wash that I put together after gleaning from different Pinterest posts.
What You Will Need:
- A quart sized mason jar filled with hot water
- Pure unscented Castille soap (2 TBSP)
- Lavender Essential Oil (10 drops) –calming
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree) essential oil (10 drops) — sanitizing
- Frankincense Essential Oil (2-3 drops)–skin healing
- Fractionated Coconut Oil (just a splash)
What You Need to Do:
- In a small container mix the castille soap, the small splash of FCO and the essential oils and stir
- Pour the soap mixture into the hot water and stir/shake to combine.
Yup that’s it! It’s that easy. Now when it’s time to start milking your does you can add this into your teat dip cup and use a cloth or paper towel to dry them. I also keep some in a jar with a strainer lid and dip a cloth in it to wash her whole udder, this helps with hair and debris falling into the milk.
So if you don’t want to search through Pinterest to glean from other recipes feel free to cut out some of the work and try this one.